Friday, February 19, 2010

uprooted from the South and thrown in the middle of Paris' Latin Quarter

I went café hopping today.  Okay, well, I only went to two, but that just sounds cool.  I wish I could give you the names of these fantastics... but France doesn't name their cafés, unless I'm a tard (which is mega possible) and just haven't spotted the letters... on the 53 of them that I pass daily.  Anyways.. the first one I have been to before, really quaint.  It's a continuously crowded hole in the wall with dark wooden furniture and delicious patisseries.  You see all sorts of people there - young couples, old couples, lone old people, dads and daughters...  and the staff are appropriately Parisian-stressed workers.  After reading a first chapter in the book I have to lire for my music and politics class -  "L'âme de Hegel et les vaches du Wisconsin" by the italian writer Alessandro Baricco - which is actually proving to be rather interesting, I started feeling the pressure of other customers wanting to sit down, and so I paid for my delish café au lait and made my way out of the cozy establishment.

On the way back to my apartment I decided I hadn't satisfied my café fix and so I stopped at another.  This one I had always been intrigued by, but had never been in before.  It is much more well-lit, less crowded, and not as cutesy as the first, but I fell in love with it nonetheless.  As I savored my pain au chocolat, I realized this place had been uprooted from the South and thrown in the middle of Paris' Latin Quarter.  The staff were humbly dressed, super smiley, and there was a little band of older merry hommes chattering at the bar.  I miss the warmth of the South, it was nice to find it again, in my Parisian backyard.   

{side note: I really love cereal}


     

No comments:

Post a Comment