Wednesday, February 3, 2010

corny quirky suburban white kid

So I was web-world browsing and came across Asher Roth's name, which reminded me that he had an album out there that I hadn't yet explored. I jammed to "I Love College" a while back [side note::check the legit remix to this song by an up-and-comer from Boston, Sam Adams], but was just now able to thoroughly follow up on Asleep in the Bread Aisle. And boi, am I glad that I did.


I really love all twelve tracks -- I wouldn't even feel right stating favorites, they're all all-that. Oh, fine - "As I Em," "She Don't Wanna Man," and "Fallin" - yummy. His smooth voice and chill rhythms provide a completely satisfying musical moment. Plus, touches of Cee-lo and Busta Rhymes render the album indestructible.

The self-proclaimed "corny quirky suburban white kid" released two mixtapes previous to this album - Believe the Hype in 2006 and The Greenhouse Effect in 2008 - both of which got him attention. Until hearing Jay Z's "Hard Knock Life" Annie sample (!!!) and falling in love with hip hop, Asher was jamming to Oasis and Dave Matthews. His unique chemin to the music is understood through his simple but highly-politicized lyrics.

When it comes to his industry, he says he is "a fan first." Well Mr. Roth, same here, glad you're there with us.

1 comment: