Sunday, February 7, 2010

paris des rêves

Yesterday, after standing in an über-ridiculously long line, I walked through the most enchanted free (!!) exposition. Housed at Hôtel de Ville, or Paris' city hall, Izis: Paris des Rêves, displays the photography of the Lithuanian artist, born Israëlis Bidermanas, spanning from his beginnings with portraits, to his Paris Match days, past Chagall, and into his wondrous world of the circus.

The man was in love with this capital; and through his often b&w photos, his amour is easily seen. I soaked it up.

« Pourquoi Paris ? Parce que Paris excitait mon imagination. C’était la Ville lumière. Pour moi, tout se passait à Paris… Nous étions attirés par la France comme pays de l’Esprit. La Liberté, l’Égalité de l’homme et la Culture, c’est ça qui nous faisait rêver »

The expo runs until the end of May, so there is time, but if I were you, I'd be on my way, running, right about now.

1 comment: