Tuesday, March 16, 2010

classy, and the ground is smooth

We got into Vienna in the early afternoon after a short planning-filled train ride.  In the metro, when we had to get from the train station to the stop near our hostel, was where I had my first troubles with language.  Surprisingly, Czech really caused no problems because English is everywhere in Prague.  In Vienna, however, its German German German.  Metro systems are generally pretty simple though, so it wasn't super difficult to navigate through the underground.

After walking for about a block through the harsh Austrian air, we arrived at the Do Step Inn.  Its name alone made me fall in love with it.  This hostel was so nice - clean, organized, roomy - it was great.  I swear their kitchen was nicer than the one back home {just kidding Mama, I love your Wolf}.  The only semi-downer was that the hostel was a good 20 minute walk to the happening spots, but everybody loves a little exercise.

After putting all of our belongings away - in lockers sans locks :/ - we headed to the historic district of the Austrian capital.  Vienna is very classy.  The buildings sport a fresh white finish and the ground is smooth.  Lots of classy shops line their classy streets.  You don't really see people begging at all, and, like in Prague, the people who are forcing flyers into your hands are dressed in velvet red capes advertising operas and orchestras.

 
{photo credit to Isabella Snyder}

After what became our tradition of stopping in a café and organizing our day, this time at the pink Aida, we headed over to the Haus der Musik.  One of the only museums I was actually willing to pay for -- I usually let myself be extravagant on the first day to a city, take that night to realize how moneyless I am, and opt for free adventures for the remainder of my visit -- I couldn't have imagined the journey it would take me on.

Walking past a pretty kosher exhibit on yikes-I-don't-remember-which-composer, we made our way to the second floor and entered the Sonosphere.  This interactive experience constantly left me questioning if this was really real life.  From rooms mimicking your first musical experiences within the womb, to computer tutorials on sounds and the ear, the sonosphere was quite an out-of-body experience.  I now understand nothing of how sounds work, but completely understand how many quirky avant-garde movements found their origins in this city.

Food is always the most important part of any travels.  Stopping and eating at the wurst street stands was fabulous.  I love sausage, bread, and mustard - and eating them all for 3 euro makes the experience that much tastier.  Our Viennese taste buds were slightly elevated later on at the Centimeter II, a relaxed welcoming restaurant located behind the bewildering MuseumsQuartier.  Along with drinking pints of Steigl {one of Chris's word obsessions that we found out was actually a legit beer brand} we devoured lots of wiener schnitzel, goulash, and potato dumplings. Prost!


Our second day in Vienna was a bit chilly, but nothing my anti-fashion rocket dog ugg-look-a-likes couldn't handle.  As these chunky, but extremely warm, boots led me through the city, I realized that palaces just flock to Vienna - they're everywhere.  The Belvedere was extraordinarily fantastic.  Its (free!) gardens just seemed to go on forever.  Looking at nature made me realize how much I was dying for some spring - I really hope to come back when the trees have leaves, the statues stand uncovered, and the fountains are showcasing their liquid splendor.

{photo credit to Isabella Snyder}

I fell under the spell of the Karlskirche, or L’Église Saint-Charles-Borromée as our French guide told us.  Its teal dome just captivated me.  The Karlsplatz, the nearby former metro station, is fabulous as well - the mix of gold leaf and shiny green is quite enchanting.  Whoever Charles was, he did good stuff.

It is in Vienna that I discovered my love for foreign grocery stores, which are fabulous.  Not only is it fun to roam around the aisles of foreign culinary delight, laughing at your lack of vocabulary, letting yourself be guided by pictures and colors, but you get to feel like a local for a half-hour.  I left this trip to Billa, {"common sense says Billa" !!} particularly ecstatic because with my 3 and a half words of German, my exchange with the cashier left no trace of English!  'Twas absolutely fabulous.

Our last morning in Vienna was spent at the Schönbrunn Palace.  But it was cold, very cold.  To be absolutely honest, I preferred looking through Austrian cookbooks in the heated souvenir shop than walking around the dead-looking-but-still-majestic gardens.

Quick internet stop back at the Doo Step, one last photo-op, and we jumped on the nicest train I think I've ever been on, taking me to Budapest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment