Monday, May 10, 2010

with an emphasis on the "liberal"

Sciences Po sends out newsletters once a week alerting the student populace of events and such around campus.  There are always famous people speakers or serious world issue conferences, and overwhelmed by all of these opportunities, I often never participate.  I told myself that I must take advantage of something Sciences Po puts on before I leave.  When I heard about the Festival Rideau Rouge 2010, a festival of theatre, it sounded like the perfect event.

So, last friday, I attended the 21h showing of Où le temps s'arrête et sans chaussures, a liberal adaptation of Peter Pan -- with an emphasis on the "liberal".  The play started out nice - there were some bizarrities, but following the plot line wasn't a chore and the actors were impressive.  


However, after about 45 minutes of interestingness, the piece got real out of wack.  This is when Peter brings Wendy back to her home, to find her two parents who are buggin completely.  The dad tries to kill Peter, but then becomes obsessed with flying, so tries to get him to show him how.  Wendy falls in love with Peter, and Peter's a kid so he's like naw.  And then there's Wendy's mama, by far the best actrice of the troupe, who is just kind of chilling trying to make everyone happy.  The play ends with Peter's death (i think)  and the death of the parents (i think) and a really long repetitive monolgue by Wendy.  This was right after a sort of pillow fight, which left the stage cluttered with white feathers, and dust?


I don't know, it was weird.  But I'm glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment